Monday, June 6, 2011

Expectations

{There's an old story about a young man who's freezing on the side of the road in Alaska. He's hitching a ride to Miami.  He's so cold he can barely hold up his handmade sign. After a long wait, a friendly trucker stops and says, "I'm not going to Miami, but I'm going as far as Fort Lauderdale."
    Dejectedly, the young man says, "Oh," and turns the ride down.}

What a dumbass!!! This is an excerpt from a book* my mom gave me.  The book says, "How often do we refuse our fate under the guise of holding out for the right thing? How often do we turn down the path presented like a gift because it's not exactly what we're dreaming of?"

I thought this was awesome and worthy of a blog :)  Of course one can argue that it's called having high standards... of which I know I certainly have... but  I think there's a fine line between the two that can easily get crossed.  Kindof like the line between courage and stupidity :)



I've let a few of my long distance friendships fissle because I didn't think the other person thought of me as a close enough friend or they'd be contacting me more.. no?? No!  I had too many expectations for what their side of the friendship was.  I wish I had learned the lesson my grandpa was teaching me growing up.  He didn't care when or how often you came to visit- but you knew you were beyond loved in his presence.  Even if you came over and only popped your head into his room to say hi, he was happy beyond words. He was awesome.

 How much better to be remembered like my Gramps, one who gives unconditional love, than the one who couldnt be pleased!!! "To give and not expect return, that is what lies at the heart of love."

Im a pretty happy happy person. But I've also been know to shy away from hosting/planning events, because then there's an expectation...  And with an expectation, can come a dissappointment.  That's lame of me.... working on that :)  How much better to have an open mind and embrace whatever it is that comes??

Sooo.... what am I expecting on this trip?! Not much really!!  I plan to see some really cool places and meet some really cool people.  Probably I'll see some not so cool places and people... but lessons can be learned from those too.  I plan to soak up every piece of advice I'm given and open myself to any kind of change that will make me a better person. I expect to eat some good food... hopefully not too much bad food.  Most of all, I plan to love and appreciate every minute of it!!!! Im fully aware this trip won't be all peaches and cream for your skeptics out there...  But... " Life isn't about avoiding the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain."  Luckily... I love dancing in the rain :)
I'm somewhat of a quote whore :0), so I'll share some that are inspiring me:

Nobody succeeds beyond his or her wildest expectations unless he or she begins with some wild
expectations.

Everything you want in the World is just outside your comfort zone.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.

What we anticipate seldom occurs, what we least expected generally happens.





 *"The Book of Awakening"  by Mark Nepo. It's like a one a day inspiration type thing if you want to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE this post. Especially love this quote - We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!! What's crazy is that I accepted a job 40 min out of San Fran and I was hoping for San Fran... so I am loving the concept behind your post. How do you add me as a follower? I never saw ur email. xoxoxooxoxox Kate

    ReplyDelete