Monday, June 20, 2011

Selfish

I went to the gas station today in a hurry. When the card reader wouldn't work, saying "please see attendant", I got all irritated.  I went inside... the guy was quite nice and asked if I could hold for one minute while the pumps were closing out. I gave a somewhat snooty fine and waited for what was more like 30 seconds before he said it was working.  As I walked out to the car I just felt so disgusted with myself.  Really? Did I just give him attitude because I had to walk inside? Had to wait a minute? Had to be "inconvenienced"?   I felt so bad I went back in after my gas was pumped and told him thanks and that I was sorry for being impatient :)  haha

I was 17 when I took my first trip out of the country.  I went t o Honduras with 7 people, and we built 6 houses in 10 days for (and with) the people in a tiny little town near Guacamaya who had lost their homes to Hurricane Mitch.




Absolutely without a doubt, the most life changing experience I've had to this day.  These people had no running water, no electricity, no bathrooms, no floors, no shoes... but some serious gratitude.   One of the most special moments was when we handed out stuffed animals to the children who had never had one. The joy in their lil faces to have something as simple as a teddy bear-  I'll never forget that.  When I have kids someday I want to take them on trips like this for Christmas vacation and have them give their toys away instead of buying them 20 new ones. I think everyone should go into a third world country and volunteer.... it was phenomenal.  It makes you remember and really be grateful for what you have.  America-- land of opportunities-- is an understatement.  

In August, it'll be 11 years that I've lived in Miami.  I've let it rub off on me too much. I find myself to be super selfish lately.  Like I expect everything to always go as I want it to.  Barf.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."

My HS senior project was on volunteerism (these pics are from my scrapbook project).  The main theme was that you really do get more than you give.  What a fantastic thing!!  Im so excited to go on this trip and hopefully get back my understanding of selflessness, rather than the current selfishness.  Not just on the physical level,  but moreso on the emotional level. Something about being here in Miami's superficiality, in this age of materialism, and being single too boot---I've grown accustomed  to doing/spending/saying/acting however I want, whenever I want.  No one to answer to and no consequences... it's easy to get selfish.  Definitely not a term I want to associate with myself.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

"If you continually give, you will continually have."

I'm planning on spending lots of time in little villages like the Honduran one I went too. Sure I'll see the big cities... but it's the little ones that you really get to see and experience the cultures IMHO. Please be sure and let me know of any opportunities you're aware of!!

5 comments:

  1. Phenomenal....somewhere inside is that idealistic high school girl that I once was...I need to get back in touch with her and volunteer more. INSPIRING BJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Very inspiring! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can give you some great ideas, Becky. What a great thing to do. I hope I can follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous who are you?! Kristin and Anna-- what's your last names?! Ideas? Yes please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post Becca, as usual you hit it on the head. impatience comes from the the feeling that, somehow, our time is more important than others'

    ReplyDelete