Friday, August 12, 2011

I heart Weirdos!

Since the announcement of this trip, I've been given all sorts of good advice, resources, stories, contacts, and a number of books I should read.  The one book that has really stood out so far is called  "The Art of Non-Conformity" by Chris Guillebeau.  I give it two thumbs up.   That's probably a biased opinion since it's about escaping the hum drum of a normal life, which just so happens to be what Im off to do :)  Hoorah!

Funny enough, although the book applies a lot to my upcoming trip,  it's what the title means to me that I really like. It hits home for me in a way that the book isnt even focused on! haha. Non- Conformity IS an art!! I have ALWAYS been intrigued by eccentric people. Those who really, truly, actually dont give a shit what anyone else thinks (unlike those who say they dont but reallly do, myself included).  Last week while over in Tampa,  I was arounds hundreds of people.  As is always the case for me,  I was drawn to chat it up with, or randomly compliment, those that are different: The old ladies with the funky outfits on, the man with the foot long braided beard, the girl with the dreads and 75 different patterns in her clothing, the guy with the longggggg hair (okay, okay...so that had double intentions of flirting;).  There's something extremely appealing to me about Non-Conformity. It's an art of having the courage to be different in a world of conformists.

I find it so ridiculous that a celebrity can wear the most ludicrous outfits or hair fashions-- and it becomes a trend. But if you saw that same thing on someone walking down the street the day before, most people would point and snicker. Lame.  Then there are people like Lady Gaga... she admits in her show that she was "weird" and was constantly getting teased and tormented.  As you know, she made it huge, and now is adored for those SAME qualities!!! Isn't there something wrong with this picture?

It's not so much about physical appearance but that's just an easy way to identify it. I guess in general I'm just talking about compassion to be and say who you are and let other people be as well!   IMHO, one of the worst traits a person can have is that "Im-too-good" attitude. We all know someone this way. Maybe you make a bad joke, and instead of laughing it off, they make a snort noise, raise their eyebrows or roll their eyes, and make the situation about ten times more uncomfortable than it needed to be! Imagine if that didnt exist?? And we all just laughed and laughed about your lame joke? hahah. I like that...especially since most of my jokes are bad ;)

My friend Maya who lost her son (http://www.rockstarronan.com/) had this up on her blog a while back:


That's what I really want.  I think I'm getting there :)  I guess if I dissect it, I conform as much as I feel I have to :(.  Im supposed to be an adult, a professional, educated and mature.  Most of you know me as generally okay with being an outlier... but I definetly stifle it some.  Im kind of tired of being politically correct...  and professionally appropriate... and socially judged.  Its such a waste of brainspace! 

I'm not suggesting that conforming/being normal is a bad thing (Im pretty sure I'll be back to 9-5 eventually!).  Nor that everyone run off, quit their jobs to travel and become a bizarro! ..that's just what I plan to do :) hahah. I guess if there was a something I hope you'd take from this, it would be that the next time you see someone who is being unconventional,  dresses eccentric, or says something off the wall--- instead of snearing, scoffing or making fun...  think about their courage to be different!!! Maybe if we all have more compassion we can open the door for more originality, and for ourselves to truly be who we are. :)
What makes you tick, what makes you happy, what do you really want from life?   "People say that what we're seeking is a meaning for life. I dont think that is what we're really seeking. What we seek is an experience of being alive." 
I dont know what I want from life and this trip yet, but feeling more alive can sum it up pretty good :)  Certainly I dont want to be normal!   I dont necessarily know what this will mean for me.  Im probably not going to shave my head.... but if I did it doesnt have to signify a mental breakdown! Maybe it's just friggin hot! :) 

 By the way, today just so happens to be the one year anniversary that Ronan was diagnosed with cancer :(   Maya is proclaiming today as Ronan's Day of Kindness.  You can join along on facebook and do something wonderully nice today to honor him :)








Dont be content with being average.  Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top.


 

5 comments:

  1. What I value more is being authentic, not from what you show, but from what you do, facts are more important than appearance in any way.

    Live should be full of actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree with you Becky! Love the stuff straight from the heart :) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you loved that book as much as I knew that you would. Told ya it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! YAY! XO JEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed along with your writing skills and also with the format on your blog.

    Photo Phone Covers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facts are more important than appearance. Ya its true but all the facts wont work to express. There is always difference to say facts in-front of every body. We need always try to speak every body should be agree like either it be a fact or not also.


    Sameera
    Cute Mobile Cases and Covers Designer.

    ReplyDelete