Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: Finding my way HOME :)


New Years Eve is always such an excellent opportunity to reflect on the year. Every year I think it’s my best year yet, and every new year it gets better! What a phenomenon; To know we have the opportunity to make every year better. I honestly LOVE getting older... I have learned so much, and we just get to add more experience and more exposure and more growth and more love and more opportunity and more lessons and more LIFE on top of all of it??? What a ridiculously amazing game of compounded interest!!!  

LET’S TOAST!!!!  I’m raising my glass of Fancy Pants red wine to the fact that we can choose for this year to be our best year yet!! 



Without intending it to be, my 2013 turned out to be the 'Explore America' year. In just these last 12 months,  I visited 26 states, logged over 12,000 miles of road trips, and climbed to the top of 22 state high points, naked ;) (hehe, yes it’s true!). What a year it was!!! 

It started out in extreme peace (and some internal disharmony!). I lived and learned extraordinary life lessons at a yoga and medication retreat in Northern California, all the while healing from an difficult lesson of unanswered questions. It was a place called Pleasant Valley Sanctuary, and they are doing amazing things there. Check it out :) 



In Feb, I drove down to, (in my gramps truck and under his watchful eye), climbed down into, the Grand Canyon. It is awe-inspiring, vast, and delicate, and the lower you go, the more you feel both our insignificance and our great power. Def a place to add to the bucket list :).



From there, I drove back north along highway 101, fell in love with the whole coast, and reconfirmed I belong to the Pacific ;).




In March, I realized my mother was my best friend (and a real life living saint), and that I want (need) her as close to me as possible. I feel no shame in saying this, and I hope you either have or can give the most pure unconditional love that she has the ability to give. You should meet her if you can :). We went on a 10 day ‘where-should-we-live-road-trip’ from San Fran, all over and back up to WA, and randomly, perfectly, serendipitously (aka the universe gives you what you give it) found the place I wanted to live in my home state!! (been here 31 days, my heaven on earth so far!!!)

In April, I went back to Miami, where I spend 6 weeks finishing my house renovation loose-ends, and caught up with my bestest friends. There is no doubt in my mind, our connections and a feeling of belonging is what makes life grand. GIVE all that you can and your connections will blossom. Seriously. Selflessness is the new black ;). 

In May, I made the US Dragon Boat team (again!), trained, and flew to Hungary (in July) for the World Championships.  I then toured Eastern Europe for 4 extra weeks and had vivid experiences that you should visit me to hear about ;).




I loved and lost. I fell and got back up. I cried and I cheered. I stood up for what I believe in. I honored who I am, I lost friends, I gained friends. I recognized the path of others even when it was far from my own. I messed up, I apologized. I confirmed there is no emotion that is ‘bad’. Every single one helps us along the way and should be honored. I've been honoring them all, and found bliss in doing so. 

Over the summer, I drove my motorcycle (with hand-painted rainbow striped helmet) over 4,000 miles all over the East Coast, even up to Montreal, Canada (and back!). I can’t say I’ve done anything more invigorating that this amazing journey. Take risks :). 
I was a sight to be seen, no doubt ;) 

In September, I hunkered down with my mom for a few months, and started drafting out my future.  It’s amazing to draw up your dreams exactly as you want to see them. Mine is called The Bloom Woods :). I highly recommend doing this, forging your own path and life and happiness. (I would be happy to help you get there- that is part of my plan!! ;)

In November, I officially moved!! So long Florida- 13 years you were great (and you gave me wicked memories and life-long friends) ... but I am officially a Washingtonian again!!! YIPPEEE!!!!! My mom and I drove 2,900+ miles to the west coast, hauling a 20’ trailer of furniture!!! We broke down and got towed twice, almost died in an icy sliding miracle, and realized we had tires that were worn down to the core only AFTER arriving. No doubt our Guardian Angel was working hard. Thanks Gramps. No way he was going to let us both perish ;) 


In December, I found and moved into the best apartment in the universe :). My toilet doesn’t flush, but everyday I see the mighty Columbia River, and almost everyday the fabulous Mt. Hood, right from my living room. Also everyday, I thank this world for letting me see it has been the gratitude, love, confidence and faith in every moment, that has gotten me here.  

My view!!!
As the year comes to a close (less than 2 hours now!!!), I ponder what some might call my ‘luck’.  No, it is not luck. It is a conscious, everyday privilege. to be thankful, to be empathetic, to look for the positive, to give as much as I can.  It is an intentional, purposeful, extraordinary effort to love every human, every moment, every second, and to give as much as possible.  I can only aspire to give more. 

More than anything, this year has become the year to understand that I know absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. My resume, my accomplishments, my history, my story, my experiences--- they are but a mere, puny grain of sand.  If there is one thing I know, it is that I can never know enough, can never learn enough, can never give enough... but I can try! And the trying is the best part :)

I am sooooo thrilled for 2014.  As I enter the non-profit world, I know I will make mistakes, but learn from them. I know I will look and be a fool, but learn from it. I know I will throw caution to the wind, risk it all, bear it all...  and be better because of it. The question really, is not 'why?' but rather 'why not??'  



As we barrel towards 2014, I have an idea for your resolution!!!! I would like to propose adding this to your resolution: to be curious, to be open, to consciously see things from another’s view. To search, adamantly, for the positive. It is through this door, the door of OPEN, that my life has become sheer joy and contentment.  I do not have any intention to brag. I have no desire to ‘be better than’. I have no goal to bring about jealousy. I know I cannot please everyone, but for those that I can reach, I honestly, truly, deeply, widely, honorably have found happiness, and I can’t stand the thought of doing anything else but sharing the how-to that has worked for me. I believe it can work for anyone, because it is simply love.  Let’s practice :). 

Look for The Bloom Woods to launch within the month! “Go outside, grow Inside” :). 



This year? This year will be magic.  

Time to parttttay ;) See you next year! 

6 comments:

  1. I am so honored that I was a small part of your 2013, and will be even more involved in 2014. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs...your Mom & I went to school together...I remember when you were a little girl at Robert Gray...you have grown into a wonderful woman with so much insight....looking forward to reading more of your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that so much! Thanks for your support and Im so happy you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Happy 2014 Becky girl! Really? The Bloom Woods is going to open in a month? I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phase I at least… of a million steps to come! hahah! You're perm- invited!!

      Delete