Thursday, February 19, 2015

HOME!! Home! home :)

HEY HEY HEYYYY, I’m a land owner!  It’s offiicial! AHHHHHH!!!!!! 


(if that doesn't work, here's a link to Youtube)


Yup, yup yup, you heard that right! It’s an 8.9 acre slice of Heaven in Carson, WA. The heart of the magnificent Columbia Gorge, smack dab in the middle of the world- renowned Pacific Northwest! It's amazingggg...and it’s got my name on it!!! I feel like a proud parent. My baby, the Bloom Woods, has an address :).

The site is overflowing with character. Very dynamic, steep slopes, super green, great groupings of trees (for treehouses!) and simply oozing with Potential!!!! It’s close to town yet feels secluded, it follows 1,100’ of Carson Creek, AND.... IT HAS A WATERFALL! Like a legit, 12’ + Waterfall!!  It’s absolutely perfecttttt!!

My friend Sara modeling the waterfall. Pics don't do it justice! 

Deb and I adding some color, marking out the first cabin site!

Transplanting our first trees!

The creeeeeekkkk!!! Already with a log crossing :) 

Yes yes and yes :)

"Study Nature. Love Nature. Stay close to Nature. It will never fail you."   -Frank Lloyd Wright


 “Nature is not a place to visit. It is home.” 
― Gary Snyder

Cuteness bench!

"In every walk in nature, one receives far more than one sees." -John Muir

The first time I saw this property was the day after thanksgiving. Yes, almost THREE months ago!!! Since then it’s been a crazy mess of coordinating, researching, and planning (basically me running around like a mad woman :). To the building department, the utilities department, meeting with septic engineers, surveyors, geotechnical engineers, green home consultants, contractors, making site visits, creating master plans, home designs, garden placement, getting approvals from the city, the state, understanding the codes, adjusting lot lines, introducing myself to the neighbors, negotiating with the owner, researching compost toilets, grey water systems, solar, local materials, basically everything....  wheewwww! And that was just for due diligence!!  It took a while, but it’s offically DONE! The exchange of title has been submitted to the courthouse!!  Becky Jo Fromm= land owner!!!!! YEHAAWWWW!! 


Everybody is excited at the courthouse!!! 2-18-2015!

So, what does this mean for the Bloom Woods??!! My dream and vision for over 2 years now? It's alive and thriving!!!! Think creative retreats, community gatherings, educational programs, adventures,  home-stays, healthy living, and definitely nature and nurturing the blooming of self!!!  Did I mention my mom is moving out here to be my right-hand woman??? Um, yes! She's not only my favorite person in the world, but a ridiculously talented landscape designer, interior decorator, and simply superb painter, muralist and overall artist.  It's 9 acres of blank canvas, ready to unleash our creative talents on! Have no doubt,  this place is going to be fan-f'ing-tastic :). 

These dreams… they are huge. Giant. I like having giant dreams because I love to be inspired, to constantly be reaching and growing. That said, I will continue to rein myself in just enough to stay on par with the dreaded budget :).   And truth be told, all that I actually need right now is simply a home. Ahhh.. just saying it makes my heart warm :).



Oct 28, 2011 was the last night I slept in my house in Miami; I’ve been living out of my backpack ever since.  Sans a 3 month apartment I rented and 2 months at my mom’s,  I haven’t stayed in any one bed more than a few weeks, and most often much less.  My backpack has been brutalized in the most glorious of ways: via 6 Continents :). I think I can legitimately call myself a true nomad.  

While my wild side has thrived, my domestic side has emerged in full force.  I love to cook! I love to clean! I love to organize! I love to be home after dark! Every single cell in my body has been screaming home, home, home! Give me a home! :).  



One of the biggest revelations that has come up in the last 3 years, is my quite surprising tendency towards introversion, at least in the way that describes where you get your energy. I gain my energy almost entirely from solitude. I then get so jivved up, I have to explode that exuberance somewhere: on you :).  That’s what I'm known for, the eruptions of my built up energy. It can be intense, so I’ve been told :).  But, if I haven't had that solo time, what you see is tired and strained and me floundering between two worlds. The incubation is vital to the bloom. 

With any eruption though, that energy can drain pretty fast (speed depending on the company), and I must retreat to my space to build up again. Oh wait... what space?? That’s right... I haven’t had one. 

BUT NOW I DOOOOO!!!!!! Now I do, now I do, now I do!!!! I’m GIDDDDYYYYY! 

Okay, so it's raw land still...meaning no 'home' just yet... but at least I can see it :) 

Having this home base is absolutely crucial for me. The solitude, the recharge, the meditation, the silence... these have become clearly essential to balance my eruptions of extroversion.  Discovering and getting intimate with meditation has absolutely been indespensible all this time, and I will forever practice and preach of it's miracles. Of course, having a dedicated space for meditation seems even better!!!!! 

I have a million plans for the Bloom Woods, but the reality is... the Bloom Woods is simply a representation of me. It’s my philosophy for living, “Be always Blooming.”  Nature heals me. Solitude heals me. Growth heals me. I have every intention that the Bloom Woods (the company) will grow into it’s appropriate purpose, whatever that may be, along with me growing into my ever-more authentic self and the magnificent evergreen trees that will shelter it all.  

Of course, having a homebase doesn’t mean I’ll stay put :). It just means I’ll know I can, if and when I need too :) My life goal is to spend 6 months with people and 6 months in solitude. There will always be travel, that is certain. My life is the balance between extreme home and extreme adventure. It's always about a balance :). 

My journey thus far? Flipping fantastic! It's crazy to know that I've gotten to see/do/be so much, yet I'm only just beginning!!!  The last 3+ years especially have be INEXPLICABLY WONDERFULLY and AMAZINGLY INDESCRIBABLE (read almost 4 years of novel-length blogs that just touched the surface of illustrating the transformation) :). I really can’t summarize except to say that leaving Miami was the best thing EVER I could have done for myself,  my true self. I was not living my most authentic life there. I knew it but I didn’t know what was missing. I've regained a large part, but still know I’m not even close to entirely there, but certainly loving the process of discovery every day, feeling as authentic as I can be for what I’ve experienced thus far. 


Without a doubt, I believe we have to actively seek our authentic selves. Curiosity, courage, confidence.. these are things we must cultivate. There are things we were born to be and do, and often times, it might be something you’ve never even heard of, have no hint of, no experience with. Being authentic is not always easy, but by-golly it’s a fight I am willing to fight tooth and nail for :).  Are you? Even as authentic as I live, I know there is still something coming for me. Something else untapped, just waiting for me to unearth it (ahhh!, can’t wait! what’s it gonna be??!!)  

In my life's book, I'm closing in on the 'plot thickens' part! Page turner!!!! 

SO, what does this mean financially? To be able to afford this land, I’m selling my house in Miami. which means I will cease to have an income! AHHHHH!!!! That’s freaking scary.... but a worthy fear that I am walking thru with gusto.  I could very well live out the rest of my days in my current situation, especially if I moved to Nicaragua. BUT, I’ve got dreams bigger than universes people, and I’ve never been one to just sit back and wait ;).  My plan is to just start. Start with one cabin. Start with what I have and where I can.  My plans of course extend far beyond that one cabin, but it will all work out perfectly (EWOP!). Whether you call it faith, confidence, assurance... there’s a fire in my heart that’s too powerful than to mean anything but success. It’s a wondrous thing, this 'knowing.‘  You’ve got to find it for yourself, but it’s worth finding. Get right with your intentions, and all the world conspires to help you :). 

“Whatever you are physically…male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy—all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”   ~ Cassandra Clare

What’s the worst that could happen?  Maybe I run out of money. Maybe I have to get a job. Maybe I’ll have to sell. Maybe I'll drop it all and live in a box. Maybe this land will never be anything more than my home. Maybe it's mean to be something entirely different.  All or any of these things would be sooooo fine! The beauty of no expectations, the beauty of an open mind, the beauty of knowing that whatever is supposed to be will be.... is that fear becomes synonymous with exciting. Oh, I feel fear for sure. These last three months I’ve cried and been stressed and have gotten ridiculous, FOR SURE. But it just feels right.  I'm feeling the fear, I'm accepting it, loving it, and I’m walking all over it :). It's all just another twist in the plot! I do love this book ;)! 


You know what might happen??? Maybe some investor will come along and fund the whole project! Or maybe the right people will join up and get the next building going!  Or maybe my other big exciting news will be a smashing success and another source of income will start up to fill in the slack!!

What’s this? Other BIG NEWS?? Yup.. cuz you know I’m all about that double rainbow :) 




THISSSSS... is the fantastic way I’ve schemed up to get my RV out here from Alabama, so I can live in it while building the treehouse!!!  I’m ecstatically fortunate to have the most wonderful and unparalleled Mr. Parker McAfee Jones coming along, and we are going to take a month just spreading happy along the way!!!!!!!! Yup, yup, yup, fun, fun, fun!!!   What’s that mean anyways? Spread Happy?  Think random acts of kindness, think volunteering, think sidewalk shows, think social shenanigans, think nature events, think community art, think soul searching, think intro to anything, think adventure... think whatever might pop into our heads! Or yours! Got ideas? Share them!!!  

Seriously, we are looking for opportunity to do good deeds! Do you need help on a project? yard over grown? Need a fence painted?  Please let us know, we might be able to add you to the itinerary!!! 

It's gonna be sooooooooooo epic!!!!!  


Parker's BADASS concept design for the Bloom Wagon. YES. YES. YES :)! Follow him at @national_parker

ANDDDD, we are looking for another AWESOME person to join us! This person must be first and foremost a top-notch lovely soul that loves epic adventures... and then, a talented videographer! We're going to be making you-tube videos along the way and a documentary of the whole trip! Know someone who would be perfect?? Is it you?  Please pass this info flyer along to them please please!!! Or find the same info at this page
The website is underway, but feel free to follow along at @thebloomwoods on instagram, and hashtag #spreadhappy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment